Is There Mercury in Your Mouth?

Posted on March 24, 2013 in Be Healthy, Blog - 5 comments - 0

Luckily, these days, the use of amalgam fillings is ever decreasing.  Amalgam fillings used to be the norm to fill dental cavities and are comprised of liquid mercury (roughly 50% by weight), and powdered alloy metals; silver, tin, and copper. These appear to be “silver” in the mouth.

Nowadays they use “white” fillings are made of composite (usually plastics and ceramics which have their own issues, Bisphenol A or BPA leeching for one) which offer a safer but perhaps not completely harmless solution.  That is a post for another time.

According to the American Dental Association and the Food and Drug Administration the use of amalgam fillings have “150-year proven track record of as one of the safest, most durable and least expensive materials used to a fill a cavity. Ongoing scientific studies conducted over the past 100 years continue to show that amalgam is not harmful.”

This is based on the assumption that mercury as a bonding agent, when mixed with other metals, is rendered harmless.  This is, however, a false and alarming assumption. There are many studies that indicate amalgam fillings may, indeed, be toxic to the body.

One such study done by Dr. Anne Summers, a microbiologist at the University of Georgia,discovered that animal subjects with amalgam fillings have higher levels of mercury in their GI tract, feces, and throughout their bodies than subjects that had consumed mercury-rich fish on a daily basis. Other studies have concluded that children, when exposed to high levels of mercury, show varying degrees of mental impairment and still more studies concluded  that people with amalgam fillings have shown signs of psychological disturbances such as anxiety, depression, and short term memory loss, with some experiencing extreme symptoms such as tremors and even seizures.

There are even studies that show that mothers with more than six amalgam fillings in their mouths have a greater risk of delivering a child with Autism.  This study was done by Dr. Mark Geier, president of Genetics Center of America and founder of Autism Spectrum Disorders Research Centers.

So how can a compound that both the ADA and the FDA say is safe cause so many issues?  Two words.  Mercury toxicity. (It should be noted that just recently the   FDA has warned dentists and the public about the potential impact on developing fetuses and small children with amalgam fillings. They are at least talking about the health hazards increasing for both of these groups and recommending to avoid amalgam fillings at all costs. It’s a step in the right direction but what about the rest of us?  Elderly?  Those with chronic illnesses.)

The International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT) report that  amalgam fillings release a toxic mercury vapor which travels system wide throughout the body depositing mercury in vital organs.  (Liver toxicity, kidneys, gall bladder, etc.)

Increased mercury vapors are released with any type of stimulation–think chewing (food, gum, grinding the teeth, etc.), heat (drinking hot drinks), and dental procedures such as dental cleanings.   Every day that you eat hot food or drink hot beverages, are under stress and clamp down on your jaw, grind your teeth, or pretty much use your mouth in any way, your fillings are releasing mercury vapors into your body.

Bear in mind many people who still have amalgam fillings in their mouths have had them for decades.  Mercury is toxic in large doses but small doses over a long period of time have the same or even greater effect.  I compare it to black mold in a house.  It can take years to cause a reaction but when it does, it is usually a profound impact on the body. (or indeed any food), are under stress and bite down or grind your teeth in anger, or drink coffee ,tea, or your morning Detox Ginger, Lemon, Tea, if you have amalgam fillings in your mouth, mercury vapors are being released into your body.

Here are some of the many symptoms related to mercury poisoning::

Common Symptoms of Chronic Mercury Poisoning

Type

Symptoms

Digestive System Colitis

Diarrhea/constipation

Loss of appetite

Weight  loss

Nausea/vomiting

Emotions Aggressiveness

Anger (fits of)

Anxiety

Confusion

Depression

Fear and nervousness

Hallucination

Lethargy

Manic depression

Mood swings

Shyness

Energy Levels Apathy

Chronic tiredness

Restlessness

Head Dizziness

Faintness

Headaches (frequent)

Ringing in ears

Heart Anemia

Chest pain

Heartbeat rapid or irregular

Lungs Asthma/bronchitis

Chest congestion

Shallow respiration

Shortness of breath

Muscles & Joints Cramping

Joint aches

Muscle aches

Muscle weakness

Stiffness

Neurological/Mental Fine tremor

Lack of concentration

Learning disorders

Memory loss, short and long term

Numbness

Slurred speech

Nose Inflammation of the nose

Sinusitis

Excessive mucus formation

Stuffy nose

Oral/Throat

 

Bad breath (halitosis)

Bone loss

Burning sensation

Chronic coughing

Gingivitis/bleeding gums

Inflammation of the gums

Leukoplakia (white patches)

Metallic taste

Mouth inflammation

Sore throats

Ulcers of oral cavity

Other Allergies

Anorexia

Excessive blushing

Genital discharge

Gland swelling

Hair loss

Hypoxia

Illnesses (frequent)

Insomnia

Loss of sense of smell

Perspiration excessive

Renal failure

Skin cold and clammy

Skin problems

Vision problems (tunnel vision)

Water retention (edema)

 

And here are a few of the diseases and health issues that have mercury toxicity as, at the very least, a factor::

Diseases Related to Chronic Mercury Poisoning

Acrodynia

Alzheimer’s

Anterior lateral sclerosis (ALS)

Asthma

Arthritis

Autism

Candida

Cardiovascular disease

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Crohn’s disease

Depression

Developmental defects

Diabetes

Eczema

Emphysema

Fibromyalgia

Hormonal dysfunction

Intestinal dysfunction

Immune system disorders

Kidney disease

Learning disorders

Liver disorders

Lupus

Metabolic encephalopathy

Multiple sclerosis (MS)

Reproductive disorders

Parkinson’s disease

Senile dementia

Thyroid disease

I urge you, if you have amalgam fillings, to find a holistic dentist in your area (one that specializes in removing amalgam fillings safely) and discuss your options for other materials to replace the fillings as soon as possible.  We will be discussing how to detox from heavy metal poisoning in subsequent posts!

0

About The Author

Author avatar

thedetoxdiva

I am a Holistic Nutritionist and Health Coach. I enjoy motivating people to eat cleansing, nourishing foods to cleanse, balance, and restore their bodies so they feel better. Inspired by local, seasonal and farm fresh produce... Read More

5 comments

  1. ClinicalPosters.com - - reply

    Appearance alone would seem like a strong motivation for white fillings. Certainly, I prefer them. Yet, use of amalgam fillings is predicated by at least three other factors:

    1) Location. Least expensive white fillings generally require exposure of the tooth to special UV light in order to cure. Rear molars that are too far away from the light source are not viable candidates for this procedure…

    2) Cost. Patients may be charged 50 percent more for “cosmetic” fillings. In cases where UV light is inaccessible, crowns may be required, which can be several times the cost of amalgam fillings.

    3) Durability. Porcelain (glass) veneers are less suitable for molars, where they are more likely to break during mastication.

    http://clnpstr.com/r7RLUt

    1. thedetoxdiva - - reply - author

      UV light on back molars is not really an issue in most dental practices. There are mini UV lights that do just fine. Many older dentists just don’t have the training they need to do anything other than amalgams. Composites with ceramics are incredibly strong so you can do just fine (albeit for shorter times). Taking the chance on mercury vapors is just never a smart idea.

  2. mary - - reply

    I really found this article quite scary. I have loads of mercury fillings in my mouth and have had for decades! Oh dear…..it’s something I’d like to deal with though the cost is a bit of an issue at the moment – but yes, it’s got to be an investment worth making (changing your fillings). Thanks for alerting us to this.

  3. rian - - reply

    I hope I don’t get any sever impact of mercury cuz I have few of them :(
    This info warn me to have more often to check my mouth to dental, thank…

  4. Longwood Dentist - - reply

    Thanks for providing the information and insights in this post. A sure way to determine your best bet for options on removing the filings is to speak with your dentist or a holistic dentist to see what your choices are.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>