Salt, and its role in our diets, is one of the most debated subjects for those of us interested in taking care of our health. Doctors make sweeping generalizations in telling us to avoid it. Many of us jump on the bandwagon and vilify salt without a thought. The same doctors and other healthcare professionals telling us to forgo its use fail to tell us their is a dramatic difference between high quality sea salt such as Celtic Sea Salt and regular table salt.
In cases of adrenal insufficiency and/or fatigue our bodies tend to crave salt in response to low aldosterone levels flushing kidneys of valuable minerals and necessary water leading to chronic dehydration.
Sea salt balances and nourishes our body with essential minerals. Some health benefits of sea salt are as follows:
- It is vital for proper muscle contraction and expansion, nerve stimulation, the proper functioning of the adrenals, and other biological processes, as well.
- Salt also provides chloride, which helps produce acids necessary to digest protein and enzymes for carbohydrate digestion which helps those needing to balance weight, and is necessary for proper brain functioning and growth.
- Salt contains magnesium, which is important for producing enzymes, nerve transmission, bone formation, forming tooth enamel, and resistance to heart disease, and it also contains many other trace minerals. Babies and children are in special need of salt for their developing brains.
- It aids in stabilizing abnormal heartbeats which is contrary to the common misconception that it causes high blood pressure. In fact, sea salt in conjunction with water and in the right proportion, is essential for the regulation of blood pressure. High quality sea salt searches out the harmful sodium deposits in the body and eliminates them. It also curbs high blood pressure.
- Before sleeping, if taken with warm water, it helps a person get a deeper and longer sleep, which is restful and refreshing. It also helps clear mucous in the body and sinus and bronchial congestion. This is especially important during asthma attacks and with cystic fibrosis sufferers.
- It helps maintain the electrolytes in the body which are essential for processing information and communication of the brain cells.
- It combats water retention in the body, which is again contrary to another misconception that salt is the cause of water retention. It has also been reported to dissolve kidney stones in the body.
- Sea salt supplies essential minerals directly to our cells to enhance and improve the body’s immune system and increases resistance against infections and bacterial diseases. It also helps our body heal quickly from accidents, surgeries, sickness, mental disorders, cuts and burns, flu, colds and other virus, etc.
- Sea salt helps in food absorption from the intestinal tract and maintains the level of sugar in the blood, hence reducing the risk of diabetes.
- It acts as a strong natural antihistamine by keeping the body at the right pH. This helps by maintaining the body’s acidic level and preventing different health problems and degenerative diseases.
- Sea salt has antiseptic properties and can be used while bathing, to control itching and inflammation on the skin. It is an incredibly detoxing ingredient for bath as it helps draw out toxins and vitalize the skin and body with trace minerals.
So what’s the difference between table salt and high quality sea salt?
Table salt is a highly refined element. It goes through a process that removes the magnesium and other trace minerals. Because salt is naturally hygroscopic, (easily retaining water), aluminum compounds and other additives such as silica are added to the already refined salt.
The natural iodine is destroyed during the refining process, and is added back as potassium iodide, in often toxic levels. Dextrose (a sugar) is added as a stabilizer which interacts with the salt and changes its color. A bleaching agent is used to whiten the salt.
High quality sea salt such as Celtic Sea Salt is dried naturally in the sun. It is unprocessed and still contains microscopic amounts of sea life which contain natural iodine. It will be slightly moist and have a natural grey color.
Sea salt has a stronger taste than table salt. You use far less in cooking to produce the same results.
Celtic Sea Salt has 17.5% trace mineral content as compared to 4.1% of Himalayan Sea Salt and 1.68% of most table salts.
When buying canned beans or other vegetables, look for those with no added salt. If you must buy cans, look for organic brands in BPA-free cans and add high quality sea salt to your recipes.1